Looking for Something?

Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Cooking radishes



File this one under "you CAN teach an old dog new tricks."

For decades I relegated radishes to relish trays and occasional salad garnishes. Nothing else. (Can I pause to say it's weird to be able to use the word decades?) I never considered cooking radishes. Then the recent discovery that the leafy tops are edible, too, opened the door to all sorts of possibilities.

I like to sauté radishes and their greens in a little olive oil. To clean, swish the radishes (tops and bottoms) in a bowl of water and let dirt settle to the bottom. Scrub the roots well, peeling or scraping off "whiskers" if needed. Separate roots from leafy tops, and cut the roots into equal size pieces. Coarsely chop greens. Heat oil in skillet over medium high heat. Cook roots first, since they will take longer than the greens. When the roots are lightly golden brown add the greens and cook until slightly wilted but still vibrant green. Season with salt. If desired sauté garlic with the radishes.

This method caramelizes the radishes and adds a mellow depth to their peppery kick. Try grilling or roasting, too. The slender, white radishes I cooked are icicle radishes.

Tell us, how do you like to eat radishes? Got any more tricks?



1 comment:

David said...

Jennifer, hmmmm, sautéd radish greens. I'm finding out there's a lot more out there that we could eat than the traditional garden stuff. I've always been like you. Radishes belong on a relish tray but always the root never the tops. That was compost fodder. Nice cast iron skillet by the way. I have it's twin and many other sizes as well. Radishes are not doing well here in Nebraska this year. I think it's because of the excessive rain. The tops look beautiful but the roots are small. It will be interesting how the potatoes turn out as well. I've never seen potatoes grow so tall but I'm wondering if the they will produce much under the tops. Every year seems to produce another new challenge with gardening.

Have a great day sautéing radish tops.